Need a little help from my friends

AJ ONeal (Home) coolaj86 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 20:20:29 MDT 2019

First off, I think the end result is that we're just going to have to agree
to disagree. Our beliefs are fundamentally different.

If you consider Kohlberg's Stages of Moral Development I would classify as
"Post-conventional". Rather than looking strictly at a law in a universal
point of view and determining from that law what is ethical, I would look
at consequences from a more Utilitarian point of view and then determine
whether or not the act is ethical in a particular circumstance, regardless
of the law, social custom, etc.

"After changing your username, your old username becomes available for
> anyone else to claim."

The fact that Github allows this, does not make it universally ethical to
take it, in my point of view. I would consider it ethical to register a
generic name that just so happen to want for personal or business use. For
example Root, Sudo, Ninja, Rockstar. I would *not* consider it ethical to
take a name which had a high reputation that was associated with a single
particular individual or entity. For example: Creationix, CoolAJ86,
LinusTorvolds.

> There is no indication that the new owner of the username is doing anything
> malicious.

The act of impersonating my digital identity I consider to be malicious. I
*am* coolaj86. They are *not* coolaj86 - in the same way that they are not
Creationix and they are not LinusTorvolds.

> This means that using abuse reporting systems for this user are
> inappropriate.

I disagree.

> Worse yet, your attempt to start a mob campaign to *harass* Github and/or
> the new owner of the username is still very unethical.

I see it as a way to make sure that it's brought to their attention quickly
so that there's a chance to intercept before any damaging activity takes
place.

I believe it is somewhat of a moral responsibility to promote issue known
as quickly as possible.

In the end, the good news is this:
https://twitter.com/archiebaer/status/1109449496113676296