Would anyone be interested in a PLUG chat room?

Jonathan Duncan jonathan at bluesunhosting.com
Wed Mar 20 11:27:12 MDT 2019

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 10:40 AM AJ ONeal (Home) <coolaj86 at gmail.com> wrote:

> It really bothers me that all of the popular communication tools are now
> walled gardens (email having fallen out of favor). I don't know what to do
> about it.

Email... the bane of existence for every sysadmin... =)

I remember back in the early 1990's when seeing an email message in my
inbox was exciting. It meant that someone I knew sent me a message, and it
was probably a message that I wanted to read. Back to the future... the
year is 2019... the email client is a wasteland of unread messages and a
trashcan that reeks of dead phish and rotten spam. I use email because I
have to, no longer because I want to. The walled gardens are safe places
there I can once again see messages that I want to see... much of the time.

True, there is giphy abuse. But at least with slack I can hide those
giphys. And I can choose which channels notify me and how.