x server and DE running from a chroot or container

mike at dev-zero.net mike at dev-zero.net
Wed Jan 17 11:27:59 MST 2018

i'm hoping to find a way without using a hardware virtualization layer. a lot of space is already lost due to other issues and there isn't much space left to users. wasting space for a virtual guest disk isn't appealing. there are a few other reasons as well.

i don't particularly care of there is a gui running in the base centos system. the idea i had was the centos 7 boots to a non-gui systemd target and then a systemd unit starts a container that runs the gui. i also don't have to use 'containers' as has been commonly used over the past few years. a simple chroot would probably be sufficient.

mike