x server and DE running from a chroot or container

Scott Morris smmorris at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 19:25:37 MST 2018

I think Brandon is onto something.  I'm doing a very similar thing right
now.  I have the lightest WM I can still use on Fedora with some fairly
heavy VMs in it.  I'm using VirtualBox, but VMWare is probably a more
enterprise-level, solid choice.  VirtualBox on top of LXDE (or TWM, or
whatever) and then the VMs inside it should work if your workstation has
sufficient RAM.  These days, it's hard to have less than 8GB, which is
plenty for the scenario you are describing.  But yeah, your specialty
hardware will tend to get abstracted away from the guest OS, so I wouldn't
be trying to play games on it or anything.

Scott Morris
smmorris at gmail.com

*"A jack of all trades and master of none is oftentimes better than master
of one."*