Do I really need Plex Premium?

Eric Olsen falconv at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 16:21:08 MST 2018

On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 2:54 PM, Jonathan Duncan <jonathan at bluesunhosting.com
> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 10:48 AM, Brian J. Rogers <captbrogers at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I agree with Jonathan, if you are using other cloud services and don't
> see
> > much interest in ripping your own library, don't bother.
> >
> > My personal experience with Plex has been great. I bought a lifetime pass
> > for myself after having a subscription for a year. I am a stickler about
> > having access to the files of media I own, which is why I've opted for
> > ripping everything myself and using Plex. Yeah, it's time consuming and I
> > may have to rip the same movies a few times until I get the right combo
> of
> > settings to have a good quality copy that isn't 5GB, but I'm a bit of a
> > weirdo that doesn't mind doing such things.
> >

> I have tried it because a family member is using it. It is a great idea. I
> currently already rip all my movies to a local drive and view them through
> iTunes. But that limits me to Apple viewing. I have been considering other
> options.
>
> Is there an option for local streaming instead of cloud streaming? I mean
> for family members who want to watch some of my movies. Can they cache them
> locally or host a backup of my movies and stream from their local cache?

You can "Sync" (download a copy onto your device) for local playback when
you're unable to stream (or don't want to stream over the internet for
various reasons). You can also "share" specified libraries with other Plex
accounts, who can then stream from your Plex server. I believe you *can*
allow them to then sync (cache) them locally, but by default you can't and
I haven't looked into how to enable that (if it is indeed possible).

-Eric F. Olsen