Do I really need Plex Premium?

Jonathan Duncan jonathan at bluesunhosting.com
Fri Jan 5 14:54:14 MST 2018

On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 10:48 AM, Brian J. Rogers <captbrogers at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I agree with Jonathan, if you are using other cloud services and don't see
> much interest in ripping your own library, don't bother.
>
> My personal experience with Plex has been great. I bought a lifetime pass
> for myself after having a subscription for a year. I am a stickler about
> having access to the files of media I own, which is why I've opted for
> ripping everything myself and using Plex. Yeah, it's time consuming and I
> may have to rip the same movies a few times until I get the right combo of
> settings to have a good quality copy that isn't 5GB, but I'm a bit of a
> weirdo that doesn't mind doing such things.

I have tried it because a family member is using it. It is a great idea. I
currently already rip all my movies to a local drive and view them through
iTunes. But that limits me to Apple viewing. I have been considering other
options.

Is there an option for local streaming instead of cloud streaming? I mean
for family members who want to watch some of my movies. Can they cache them
locally or host a backup of my movies and stream from their local cache?