Do I need a new hard drive again?

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Wed Jun 28 18:06:01 MDT 2017

On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 16:25:37 -0600
Barry Roberts <blr at robertsr.us> wrote:

> Can anybody recommend a reliable, quiet 3-5 TB hard drive?

I have the following:

Model Family:     Western Digital Red (AF)
Device Model:     WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0
Firmware Version: 82.00A82
User Capacity:    3,000,592,982,016 bytes [3.00 TB]

Model Family:     Seagate Desktop SSHD
Device Model:     ST4000DX001-1CE168
Firmware Version: CC45
User Capacity:    4,000,787,030,016 bytes [4.00 TB]

I've had the first for about 18 months. Smartmontools indicate no
problems with it. I don't hear it at all except for the rsnapshot run
every four hours, and then only occasionally.

The second is several years old. Smartmontools has been indicating a
Raw_Read_Error_Rate problem since I bought it. I believe that's a false
reading somewhere along the line. Otherwise I have had no problems with
it. But I don't think the anxiety the false hits brings are worth it. I
would avoid it unless Seagate has fixed the problem. Which you wouldn't
know until you take delivery of the drive and run smartmon on it for
several weeks.

I've bought two machines from End PC Noise, and been happy with both.
https://www.endpcnoise.com/ They use the WD Red line. That is where I
got the first drive above.

You might also check out Silent PC Review.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/

supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the
place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
-- U.S. Const. Amendment IV