Do I need a new hard drive again?

Matt plug.org matt.plug.org at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 17:21:51 MDT 2017

> > Can anybody recommend a reliable, quiet 3-5 TB hard drive?

​Whatever you do, avoid the Seagate ST3000DM001 3TB drives.  They have very
high failure rates which: Backblaze has documented, ​has led to a class
action lawsuit against Seagate, and has cost me a lot of money for
replacements, since I had all 6 of mine die (only 1 within the warranty
period).

On the other hand, the ST4000DM000 (4TB) has been great for me so far, as
well as the ST4000VN000 (4TB).  I have 4 of the DM model and 2 of the VN
model -- all between 10,000 and 13,000 "power on hours", according to
smartctl.  They're showing zero signs of slow, painful deaths or
performance regressions.

Matt