Anyone know how to stop Google from doing local country redirect?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 09:49:49 MDT 2017

On 06/03/2017 10:51 AM, Nicholas Stewart wrote:
> I don't know how to get Google to stop doing that.  To be honest I
> doubt Google wants you doing that and may not provide a mechanism to
> allow you to stop it.

You are probably right, though I cannot think of a single justification
for this, especially when many thousands or millions of people travel
the world on a regular basis, and many many expats live abroad.

Feels like we're in an age where people-less machines make decisions for
us.  Big data and the tyranny of the algorithm.  But I digress.

> I think a proxy is your best bet to be honest.
>
> You have a few options:
> * Use Tor and get an exit node in the US.  Might be a pain to do.
> * Use a vpn service.  I recommend using a vpn for lots of privacy reasons.

With a vpn service one has to trust that the VPN provider (and the VPN's
ISP) somehow maintain privacy better than my own ISP.  I'm not sure how
to verify that trust!

> * Setup a $5 digital ocean based in the US and make your own vpn/proxy.

Yes I've had my own VPS for many years which I do use for this. Had
hoped for an easier way.