A little help would be nice

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 19:35:49 MST 2017

On 01/17/2017 09:06 PM, Alan Kirkwood wrote:
> I've been beating my head against a wall, trying to get a compiler working on Linux. I have  $100.00 for someone who will help me get running and build a simple "hello world " gui with a text input box and a radio "ok" button.

What do you mean "get a compiler working?"  GCC's C and C++ compilers
should be installable through your distro's package manager.  On Fedora
that'd be:

dnf install gcc-c++ gcc

GUIs require a toolkit; they aren't part of the compilers.  IDEs are not
either, though there are some fairly nice IDEs out there, such as
Kdevelop, Code::Blocks, or Qt Creator.  The latter can ease work with
the Qt toolkit that Sasha posted an example for (and will be collecting
the $100 I presume).  Personally I prefer a simple text editor, but I
only really use Python these days.

For GUI's there are numerous toolkits available.  Gtk+ and Qt are the
two main ones used by most modern desktop apps (and have bindings to
various languages).  There is also FLTK, a light-weight C++ toolkit.
And probably others.