BtrFS for five years report

Daniel Fussell dfussell at byu.edu
Mon Aug 28 17:02:45 MDT 2017

On 08/24/2017 08:37 PM, Michael Torrie wrote:
> Anyway, thought I'd give an update, and I'd like to hear of anyone who's
> using BtrFS on spinning disk and finds it's working well, or if anyone
> knows how to fix my BtrFS problems!  There's so much potential with BtrFS.

I wish I had good news, but one of my coworkers ran BtrFS for about a
year, and the spinning disk just churned all the time.  He finally got
tired of it and installed FreeBSD with ZFS, just to spite me.  Frankly,
on his workstation ZFS is no picnic either.  I know of one group (not
yours) that has a storage server built by
the-vendor-formerly-known-as-Sun, and I've started hearing the group's
storage performance has been dropping recently.  I don't know if that's
because they don't know how to write efficiently, or if it's an artifact
of ZFS as any particular filesystem ages from use.

Myself, I still use XFS and ext4, and I've been toying with zbackup to
deal with my zfs send/recv envy.

;-Daniel