Anyone using Backblaze B2 cloud storage for backup?

Riley Loader riley.loader at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 16:19:50 MDT 2017

I do use Duplicity with AWS S3 (Infrequent access) which costs $0.0125 per
GB/month to store and $0.01 per GB to retrieve. There is also a charge for
a given amount of requests to their system (get, put, etc) but even with
that, this is pretty cheap in my opinion. Amazon charged me $0.92 last
month, and this is to back up some 80+ or so GB of data.

Anyway, to avoid going off-topic, I've never used or heard of Backblaze B2,
but I do use Duplicity (with the Duply wrapper/frontend) and it seems to
work great. I can't vouch for the massive amount of storage space or backup
time that Levi brings up (I have no experience using other options to
compare) but here's stats from last night's backup of my home server:

--------------[ Backup Statistics ]--------------
StartTime 1503561610.92 (Thu Aug 24 02:00:10 2017)
EndTime 1503561711.66 (Thu Aug 24 02:01:51 2017)
ElapsedTime 100.74 (1 minute 40.74 seconds)
SourceFiles 171773
SourceFileSize 83407342647 (77.7 GB)
NewFiles 15
NewFileSize 58450408 (55.7 MB)
DeletedFiles 4
ChangedFiles 6
ChangedFileSize 182407535 (174 MB)
ChangedDeltaSize 0 (0 bytes)
DeltaEntries 25
RawDeltaSize 59265398 (56.5 MB)
TotalDestinationSizeChange 11743577 (11.2 MB)
Errors 0

It appears that the "TotalDestinationSizeChange" (the amount of data that
got pushed to S3) turned out to be 11 MB for this incremental, compressed
backup, after having added 56 MB to the source machine. I may be reading
that wrong, but it appears to be pretty efficient, at least for my use case.

Riley

*Sent from Microsoft Outlook 1963*