Anyone using Backblaze B2 cloud storage for backup?

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 14:00:31 MDT 2017

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 1:10 PM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:

> Now that Crashplan is eliminating their home user plan, and also the
> free peer-to-peer system, I'm in the market for some new cloud backup.
> Most solutions are about double the cost of what CrashPlan home was.
> Someone suggested I look at the Backblaze B2 cloud storage system, and a
> tool like duply/duplicity as an interface into it.  The prices seem
> great to me.  They charge .5 cents (real cents, unlike Verizon!) a GB
> per month for storage, and 2 cents/GB for downloading, which seem
> reasonable to me.  B2 has versioning as well, and if you use duplicity
> to rsync up to it, it can work as a decent backup system I think.

It looks like they've got a python-based command line tool that has a
built-in sync command; you wouldn't even necessarily need Duplicity.

> Do any of you have experience with Backblaze B2, and have any of you
> used duplicity to automate and script your backups?

I used Duplicity for a while to do some backups of a non-critical file
server at work, but I switched to using Borg (
https://borgbackup.readthedocs.io/en/stable/index.html) which has built-in
deduplication and, at least as far as my usage goes, works far better at
keeping a consistent rolling incremental backup without taking a massive
amount of storage space or backup time.

Borg doesn't have the set of backends that Duplicity does, but you could
easily use Borg for on-site backup and do a simple sync of the borg
repository to the off-site backup for remote storage. I don't know if that
will meet your needs, but it seems like a nice and reasonably-priced
solution if it does.

    --Levi