Help with hacking a phone/installing a custom rom

Jeff ml at mindstormdevelopment.com
Tue Sep 20 13:08:09 MDT 2016

Is there anyone on this list who happens to be good at installing custom
Roms on an android phone? I have been trying and failing over and over.

I'm on a Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3

For each step of the process I've tried different things just in case
the issue was somehow with one of them:

1) So for instance for the rooting step, I've used different rooting
tools (and according to root checker apps, each one succeeds).

2) For installing a custom recovery, I've used both  and TWRP, and they
both seemed to install well and be functional.

3) For the next step of installing a ROM, I've tried about 5 different
custom Roms.

I've followed lots of different tutorials -- but every single time after
everything is all installed and the phone is doing it's final reboot to
boot into the new OS it just hangs. If I then force a turn off (hold
down power for a long time). It turns off and the promptly reboots - so
I guess I've got both a "hanging boot" and a "boot loop" - so a "hanging
boot loop"?

Online tutorials say if you get here to install the factory default ROM,
and so I do. Everything works perfectly in the default ROM. After
getting it back to a good state and using it for a couple of days, I try
my luck again and once again go through the rooting, recovery, custom
ROM process where everything seems to go OK until the final reboot where
it once again gets in a hanging boot loop.

A few places I've read online talk about how if you get a hanging boot
loop and try to do various data wipes from recovery and they don't work
there might be something physically wrong with your phone - so I might
wonder that except for the fact that each time I am able to reinstall
the stock rom and it works just perfectly.

Any ideas?  I've spent probably a good 40 hours on this over the last 5
- 6 weeks and am past the end of my rope.  Any tips would be so
incredibly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jeff