UTOPIA fiber upgrade

Eric Olsen falconv at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 22:42:46 MDT 2016

Yes, I appreciate XMission. They've been great.

Here's how I understand it, we in UTOPIA have one of four options (five if
you're a "Legacy" customer as I am): [Lease option] pay $30/mo to lease
UTOPIA's service - I assume this is to lease the hardware and their
"infrastructure fee"; [own options] pay $300 down, $30/mo (to the city, not
UTOPIA?) for 10 years, pay nothing after that I presume?; pay nothing down,
$25/mo for 20 years; pay $2750 down, $0/mo for 0 years; [Legacy option]
continue to pay $15/mo "Infrastructure fee", continue to own legacy
hardware limited to 100Mbps. (reference http://www.utopianet.org/faq/ #What
does UTOPIA cost?) I'm unclear whether those "own" options are completely
free (other than paying the ISP, ie XMission in our case), or if they still
have to pay $15/mo "infrastructure fee" as well, but I'm fairly certain
after shelling out $2750 they're set for life... or the life of the
infrastructure, until new lines need to be run to get 1Tbps ;)