UTOPIA fiber upgrade

Richard Esplin richard-lists at esplins.org
Tue Jun 7 20:34:17 MDT 2016

UTOPIA and XMission have both changed their rates since I started subscribing years ago, and my plan didn't get upgraded. When XMission emailed me about the new 250Mbps plan, I discovered that it would actually lowered my monthly bill by $5/month. XMission then gave me a credit for the time that they were over charging me. Thanks XMission!

My bill doesn't claim to have any sort of equipment rental, just the $30/month UTOPIA infrastructure fee.

And my actual speeds are closer to 300Mbps.

I'm curious to hear if you really need to rent your modem. That would be sad.