UTOPIA fiber upgrade

Chris Wood chris at tincreek.com
Tue Jun 7 18:16:40 MDT 2016

On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 6:04 PM, Eric Olsen <falconv at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 6:00 PM, Charles Curley <
> charlescurley at charlescurley.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 17:37:23 -0600
>> Eric Olsen <falconv at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > UTOPIA has upgraded their base speed to 250Mbps, which is beyond the
>> > capability of my old Allied Telesis modem. They are offering to
>> > upgrade me if I sign away my soul for an additional $15/month.
>>
>> I would ask myself: do I really need the increase in speed for $180 per
>> year? I now have fibre optics into my office, and haven't got around to
>> increasing the speed here.
>>

> There's the thing though, at this point the answer to that specific
> question is "not yet" - but that wasn't the question. The question was, can
> I get the speed for a one-time cost of $200 (hardware for $150,
> installation for $50).

I could be wrong but I would guess that your speed is set at Utopia
and that simply swapping hardware isn't going to increase your speed.
Have you verified that simply changing hardware will get you more
speed without any other account changes made on the Utopia side?

The previous owners of my house paid the $3K install up front and so I
got the bump to 250 Mbps without the $15 monthly fee.  For me, it was
only the $50 installation fee to move to 250 so it was a no brainer.