What should I look for when buying a laptop?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 16:35:17 MST 2015

On 11/30/2015 02:53 PM, Daniel Fussell wrote:
> A few months ago I got one of these from megalo-mart for about $290.
>
>  http://www.amazon.com/HP-15-F033WM-15-6-inch-Notebook-Processor/dp/B00T83MM5Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448919683&sr=8-1&keywords=f033wm
>
> The hardest part of the install was disabling the trusted boot garbage
> in the EFI bios settings.  Then Debian was able to boot and install
> easily, no drivers were required, and I've never seen a laptop suspend
> so smoothly.  Close the lid, and it shuts down less than 5 seconds
> later.  Open the lid, and it resumes before you can put your fingers on
> the home row.  It isn't a power house CPU or graphics, nor does it have
> an SSD or a fancy sub-retina display, but my wife loves it all the
> same.  And it is less than $400.
>
> I've got a much fancier laptop, and I'm kind of jealous how well her
> laptop suspends.

I know that Fedora, Ubuntu, and Mint can all install on UEFI systems
without disabling trusted boot.  I know there are mixed feelings about
how this is accomplished, but it does work.  But if you're not needing
to run windows, turning it off is probably the most flexible way to go,
should you ever want to build your own kernel.