What should I look for when buying a laptop?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 21:21:56 MST 2015

On 11/27/2015 09:17 AM, Nicholas Stewart wrote:
> I've been running Ubuntu for a few years on a vm on osx.  I'm thinking
> of buying a new laptop or desktop and formatting it to run Ubuntu
> 15.10.
>
> Is there anything I need to be aware of or watch out for?  For
> example, a few years ago I had problems with broadcom wireless cards
> while running ubuntu.  I'd hate to buy a new $400 laptop and have
> issues getting Ubuntu on it.

If your price point is more like $1000, System76 sells laptops preloaded
with Ubuntu (you can change it out if you want) and they make sure they
have hardware that's more or less compatible.  At least that's what my
podcasts have been telling me lately! Seriously, though, it sounds like
they go to a lot of work to make sure you get a good laptop that's
compatible with Linux.