House Design SFW?

Lloyd Brown lloyd_brown at byu.edu
Mon Feb 23 11:51:16 MST 2015

As someone who is married to an architect, I can say pretty confidently
that the tools used for early design stages are usually pencils and
paper.  I was surprised.  But apparently there's something psychological
going on, where some clients are unwilling to make significant changes
when they're looking at printouts.  Something about the clear, precise,
perfect lines, makes it hard to want to change.  I don't know why.  The
inherent messiness of a hand sketch seems to allow them better freedom,
especially during the early design stages.

Having said that, that particular industry does seem to be dominated by
AutoCAD and Revit, both of which are very expensive, only run on Windows
(I think), rely heavily on Direct3d (or whatever it's called now), which
makes it hard to virtualize or run in an emulation environment, and both
come from the same company, AutoDesk.

Outside of that, I suspect your best bet would be something like
Sketchup, as several people have suggested.  It seems to be reasonably
powerful, especially for something that has a free version (though there
is a paid version with more features).  There seems to be some
resistance among architects to use it, but I suspect that has more to do
with the completely different paradigm for user interaction, relative to
what their used to, than it does with any of the merits of the software
itself.

Good luck.

Lloyd Brown
Systems Administrator