Using your own router on Google Fiber

Bryan Peterson bryan_peterson at byu.edu
Fri Oct 24 09:38:11 MDT 2014

I have an ASUS router set up as an access point for the wireless to replace
the wireless on the Google box - Google took out the capability to do MAC
address filtering on the wireless and I have been using that to add an
extra obstacle for hackers to get over.

The only problem that I have encountered is that even though I have
disabled the wireless on the Google box they seem to turn it back on every
time there is a firmware upgrade.  I haven't found a good way to stop that
from happening yet.

Unfortunately, I don't have Google TV so I can't comment on how well that
works with the ASUS router.  From previous comments it should work since
the router is just an access point and all the devices are on the same
subnet (192.168.1.x).

Bryan Peterson
bryan_peterson at byu.edu