Using your own router on Google Fiber

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Fri Oct 24 09:31:09 MDT 2014

On Oct 24, 2014, at 8:06 AM, Dan Stovall <dbstovall at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 1:01 AM, John <pontifier at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Just wanted to share this. I was able to bypass the Google network box
>> with a DD-WRT router.I was having trouble because the network box is
>> TERRIBLE.
>> I bought this Buffalo router with dd-wrt pre-installed:
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162088&cm_re=ddwrt-_-33-162-088-_-Product
>>
>> All I had to do to get it working was turn on tagging on the wan vlan
>> under Setup->VLANsI was then able to get an ip address via dhcp.
>>
>> There's some discussion online about setting the 802.11q p-bit to 2 to
>> enable gigabit speed, but I'm not sure how, and haven't tried to do this as
>> I'm on the free plan right now.
>> I hope someone finds this useful.
>
> Thanks.  I have been so frustrated by the wireless service on google
> fiber.  I finally went out and bought a wireless router but I haven't had
> the time to set it up yet. I have been reading about plenty of people that
> have been struggling to get their configured correctly.  Ideally I would
> like my router to replace the wireless service that the google network box
> provides and have everything else work the same.  I have read that many
> people that use their own router lose all the features associated with
> their wireless devices.  They can no longer play recorded shows on their
> tablets and phones.  Their tablets and phones can no longer function as a
> remote control, and they can no longer send videos playing on their
> wireless devices to their TV's.  Have you seen any of these drawbacks?

John, was it just the wireless you were unhappy about with the Google network box or did you have other problems?

I haven't done it yet but I am tentatively planning to disable wireless on the google box at my dad's house and replace it with a better router. No serious complaints with it; it's just not in a great spot for the rest of the house and only does 802.11n @ 300Mbps (2x2 MIMO), and my laptop supports 802.11ac.

It's my understanding that as long as you put it in bridge mode (and/or just don't use the WAN port), using your own access point doesn't change the network or impact services at all. If that's not the case I'd like to know about it.

All of the features Dan mentions require that everything be in the same Ethernet broadcast domain, so if you were to use an access point as a router (e.g. by plugging its WAN port into the Google network box) then you'd be doing double NAT and your wireless devices would be on a different network from the Google gear.

Through some hackery involving a TAP VPN and a lot of bridging, I can actually control my dad's Google TV from my smartphone when I'm at _my_ house, so with that in mind I don't think that bridging necessarily breaks anything. Just keep everything on the same network.

JN