Dish Network for ISP?

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 13:46:49 MDT 2014

Considering the logistics of bouncing IP traffic off of an orbiting
satellite, I can promise you it will not be a very pleasant
experience. Probably fine if you just need to download bulk data in
the background, but it will offer a terrible interactive experience
(compared to just about any non-broken terrestrial service), and it
will really only be usable interactively via some highly tweaked TCP
stack and application settings. RTTs *start* at a 1/4 of a second
here, and have you looked lately at the number of round-trips that
occur in a somewhat serialized fashion at the start of a web browsing
session?

I actually used an older generation of satellite internet, as it was
the *only* service we could get at the time.  It required a dial-up
uplink, but I'm fairly sure that there are options now for satellite
uplink. DSL uplink would provide *better* service, though, as it
wouldn't incur the latency of bouncing data off an object in space. It
was just absolutely terrible, and although I could bulk download
faster than dial-up, doing anything interactive like ssh or web
browsing was excruciatingly painful.

There are some solutions to the problems inherent in satellite
internet (i.e. lots of low-orbiting satellites) but I don't think
there's currently anything in place, and it might be hard to convince
anyone who's suffered through previous satellite internet incarnations
that the new ones might actually work.