Best way to source a USB wifi adapter for master mode?

Matt Melvin rage_311 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 15 17:19:02 MDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 8:36 AM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/09/2014 08:14 AM, Matt Melvin wrote:
>> This is for a mobile raspberry pi based project that needs to act as an AP.
>> It's powered from a rechargeable battery pack with a USB port, since power
>> isn't usually available at the site, so I think a Linux compatible USB
>> adapter is probably my best option.
>
> Very true.  Let us know how this works.
>
> I also have a raspberry pi project coming up and will need a wifi (but
> not master mode); I might have to try this particular USB wifi adapter.

Apparently, the pi model B doesn't have enough power to use said wifi
adapter... it won't even power up (though it does on my desktop, so I
know it's not faulty).  So, I ordered a USB "Y-adapter" cable
(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002W8EDOM) that uses one USB port
(the battery pack) for power and a separate port (pi) for the data, so
I'll see if I can get it to work that way.

For the record, this adapter (https://www.adafruit.com/products/1030)
works perfectly on a pi in master mode without any Y-adapter hacks.  I
need the signal to traverse an entire residential lot, occasionally
through a few walls, and the signal strength wasn't quite strong
enough most of the time.  I'd still recommend it for more moderate
distance applications though.

I will report back with further findings for anyone interested.