Running Apache in chroot jail

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 00:40:20 MDT 2014

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 12:01 AM, Ken Jordan <ken.w.jordan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I should've mentioned previously though that Docker is
> totally dependent on Linux. You can only run it on Linux I mean.

Although that was absolutely true in the past, they've apparently
abstracted over the container mechanism now and you can run recent
versions on other platforms. If you've been using VMs (via Vagrant or
something, or even configured manually) to sandbox servers or software
builds, Docker-managed containers are worth checking out.  I'm not
sure if they've got the same level of support from enterprise-level
management tools, but for small-scale stuff Docker provides an
excellent amount of automation over the bare platform container
services.

>From Docker's github page:

> By contrast, Docker relies on a different sandboxing method known as containerization. Unlike traditional virtualization, containerization takes place at the kernel level. Most modern operating system kernels now support the primitives necessary for containerization, including Linux with openvz, vserver and more recently lxc, Solaris with zones and FreeBSD with Jails.

        --Levi