Best way to source a USB wifi adapter for master mode?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 19:06:38 MDT 2014

On 10/08/2014 04:56 PM, Matt Melvin wrote:
> Pluggers,
>
> I need to find a decent USB wifi adapter, with either a high gain or
> detachable antenna, that supports master (AP) mode in Linux.  Also,
> signal strength is much more important than throughput, so I don't
> care whether it's G, N, or AC.  The problem seems to be that many
> products on Amazon or Newegg don't list the actual chip in their
> specifications, so it's difficult to figure out what's really in them.
> SOME products list this, so in the case that I find some decent
> adapters, what's generally the best brand of chip to look for?  I've
> heard good things about the Atheros drivers in general, Realtek has
> been hit or miss for me, and Ralink seems to be more miss than hit.
> My mPCI-E Intel chip in my laptop has worked well for all modes in the
> past, but I haven't run across many (or any?) Intel USB adapters...
>
> Does anybody know of a good source that actually lists all of the
> needed information?  Or a good model off the top of your head?  What
> route would you suggest I take to find what I need?

I can't answer your question as to where to find this information, but I
have been down this road before, and I never found a satisfactory
solution.  If it's possible, my advice is to buy a regular wireless
access point and use it in bridge mode and hang it off of an ethernet
port.  It probably won't cost much more than a good, known-to-work,
Linux-compatible USB wireless adapter.