Any experience with Ubuity MIMO wireless bridging products?

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Sat Jun 14 23:18:58 MDT 2014

On Sat, Jun 14, 2014 at 8:36 AM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:

> But I also was looking at the Ubiquity Nanostation Loco 5 units.  They
> are about $70 a piece, and are basically normal 5.8 GHz-only wifi units
> with built-in directional antennas.  They are supposed to be able to
> connect up to a couple of miles and get good signal and speed because of
> their antennas.  Also if two units happen to be within the cone of
> signal coming from the main access point unit, it can connect to
> multiple client bridges, which would actually suit my needs quite well.
>  Has anyone on the list had experience with them?  They are supposed to
> be weather-proof... dunno if they factor in -40F and high winds.

I've never used the Loco specifically, but have used the Rockets, Bullets
and Nanostations with great success. They survive Wyoming winters as well
as anything else. Throughput is great. Reliability is good, although not
quite what you get with a licensed wireless link (for 100x the cost of
course) and certainly not on par with fiber.

Corey