A bot or framework to listen and reply when CC'd on an email?

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Wed Jun 4 08:50:50 MDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 7:26 AM, S. Dale Morrey <sdalemorrey at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have an interesting user requirement.
>
> They want to track certain conversations automatically and log them to a
> JIRA type system.
>
> Specifically they want to be able to CC bugs at theircompany.com and have a
> bot of some sort create a new bug report then respond to everyone on the
> list (other CC recipients) with the identifier for the bug so everyone is
> on the same page.  From there, subsequent emails on the topic would be
> appended to the bug tracker whenever bugs at whatever.com is CC'd.
>
> I know we've been talking email configurations lately, but assuming I could
> figure out how to connect it once I got it, how exactly does one go about
> setting up an email account for a bot and letting it log in, process
> emails, respond to them and track which ones have been responded to?

There are 2 typical strategies for this.

1. Deliver the mail to a mailbox and write a POP3 client to download and
process it.
2. Pipe the mail to a script on the server. It reads the message from STDIN.

The second is simpler because there's no additional protocol to learn, but
it has to run on the mail server itself which may not be desirable. Going
to the POP3 client lets you run the process wherever you want. POP3
libraries are available for whatever language suits you.

Corey