Mail Server Setup

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 20:07:17 MDT 2014

On 06/01/2014 05:48 PM, Brian J. Rogers wrote:
> Is
> there a way to require a SSL/TLS connection from other mail servers before
> accepting mail? If there is, does that present problems with any server
> that doesn't support that feature?

You can indeed configure postfix to require TLS for things like sending
email (LMTP on port 587 is the standard port for this, not port 25),
imap and pop.  As for SMTP on port 25, TLS is certainly not required,
and I would argue it actually isn't that important.  Anyway this was
discussed a couple of weeks ago here on the plug list.  You can check
the archives for links to documents on how to set this up with postfix.