Email Hosting Alternatives

Brian J. Rogers captbrogers at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 15:15:19 MDT 2014

I can get a bit controlling when it comes to some things. I personally like
to use a VPS to do my email for my side business stuff.

Linode is good, but I really didn't like how they had to play catch up with
hardware and prices. When I did use them, they were rock solid though.

Digital Ocean seems to be the hip thing right now, and I've been using them
for a year and a half now. Nearly zero down time and their support staff
has been fantastic. The only downside to them is scaling. You can only
scale up with CPU and RAM, hard drive requires a new server. There is also
no option to scale down, but I can understand that may not be a huge thing
for people.

I'm looking at MNX.io right now, they seem really similar to Digital Ocean
but offer custom server hardware config (e.g. you choose how much CPU, RAM,
drive space) as well as the packages. They do offer full scaling up and
down, but drive space changes require a ticket. I've liked them so far, but
seeing as I haven't really tried them out I can't say for sure how good
they are.