Email Hosting Alternatives

mike mike at dev-zero.net
Fri Jul 25 01:35:37 MDT 2014

For the last many years, I have had internet service from an ISP that
didn't block port 25 traffic and I could get multiple IP addresses on. I
have been hosting my own email server at my house for my own domain. The
dilemma I face is that I am being forced to change ISP and all other
options block port 25 and only have 1 IP address. There are a couple
options I have. At first, I wanted to keep hosting email myself at my
home for both privacy and technical experience. I thought I would get a
small virtual server at <insert random 'cloudy' service> which would
receive email and relay to my house on a different port, everything
encrypted of course. Then, I thought I don't want to spend much time on
this and that I should just use Google Apps. That option doesn't sound
appealing either though due to the recent news about large internet
companies and the sharing, willingly or un-willingly, of data. I also
don't use the web interface for my existing Gmail accounts very much.
Fastmail.fm is another one that I've thought about using since I've
heard they have a pretty good track record with privacy.

What do you guys think? I use Google Apps at work and have a decent idea
of it. Has any used Fastmail.fm? Do you have any other recommendations
for an email host? Am I crazy for not be enthusiastic about just using
Google Apps? (Though I admit I am crazy in other ways but that's a
different topic :) )

Thanks
mike