Android (??) phone MicroSD card backup?

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Fri Jul 18 14:53:14 MDT 2014

On Fri, 18 Jul 2014 12:40:05 -0600
Sasha Pachev <sasha at asksasha.com> wrote:

> Charles:
>
> If this phone is really running Android, when you plug it in it should
> give you an option to make the card available for mounting.

The phone reports, "Connected to PC". No option to allow it to be
mounted.

> I did a
> quick search on Google, could not find a definitive answer, but my
> quick guess is that it is not running Android.

You may be right. The manual from Samsung does not contain the word
"Android". However:

    Open Source Software

    Some software components of this product incorporate source code
    covered under GNU General Public License (GPL), GNU Lesser General
    Public License (LGPL), OpenSSL License, BSD License and other open
    source licenses. To obtain the source code covered under the open
    source licenses, please visit: http://opensource.samsung.com.

The web site does not mention this phone.

> See if it has an option to export the SD card for mounting when the
> phone is plugged in.

There is an option to do so. From the main menu, Settings -> Phone
Settings -> PC Connection. The options are, "USB Mass Storage" (on) and
"No Connection" (off).

> When you say "plug the card into a computer", how do you do it?
> Internal SD card port, or using an external SD reader/adapter? If you
> are using an external SD reader/adapter, do you get the same results
> if you just plug in the reader but do not put in the card?

SD Card reader in my HP 7780 printer, which I use via USB. I normally
keep the printer off. After an "ll -tr", the only entries in /dev with
today's date are:

prw-r-----   1 root adm            0 Jul 18 14:39 xconsole|
crw-rw-rw-   1 root root      5,   2 Jul 18 14:39 ptmx

I turn the printer on, and run the same:

drwxr-xr-x   2 root root          80 Jul 18 14:41 usb/
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root         140 Jul 18 14:41 bsg/
drwxr-xr-x  17 root root        3720 Jul 18 14:41 ./
prw-r-----   1 root adm            0 Jul 18 14:41 xconsole|
crw-------   1 root root     21,   4 Jul 18 14:41 sg4
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root        3140 Jul 18 14:41 char/
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root         620 Jul 18 14:41 block/
brw-rw---T   1 root floppy    8,  48 Jul 18 14:41 sdd
crw-rw-rw-   1 root root      5,   2 Jul 18 14:42 ptmx

fdisk and dd return the same results.

However, when I put the Micro SD Card in the printer (via an SD card
adapter) I have an error message on the printer:

Memory Card Error

and the following:

drwxr-xr-x   2 root root          80 Jul 18 14:45 usb/
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root         140 Jul 18 14:45 bsg/
drwxr-xr-x  17 root root        3720 Jul 18 14:45 ./
crw-------   1 root root     21,   4 Jul 18 14:45 sg4
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root        3140 Jul 18 14:45 char/
prw-r-----   1 root adm            0 Jul 18 14:45 xconsole|
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root         620 Jul 18 14:45 block/
brw-rw---T   1 root floppy    8,  48 Jul 18 14:45 sdd
crw-rw-rw-   1 root root      5,   2 Jul 18 14:46 ptmx

supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the
place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
-- U.S. Const. Amendment IV