Stream My Own Music Locally

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Fri Jul 11 13:21:17 MDT 2014

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 12:39 PM, Robert Merrill <robertmerrill at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Friday, July 11, 2014, Corey Edwards <tensai at zmonkey.org> wrote:
>
> > UPnP is a protocol designed for this.
>

> Is UPnP for that or is it DLNA ...perhaps transported by UPnP?

I suppose I've never looked that closely, just that MediaTomb says it's a
UPnP server. According to Wikipedia:

    DLNA uses Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) for media management,
    discovery and control. UPnP defines the type of device that
    DLNA supports ("server", "renderer", "controller") and the
    mechanisms for accessing media over a network. The DLNA
    guidelines then apply a layer of restrictions over the types
    of media file format, encodings and resolutions that a device
    must support.

Either way, I've been happy with MediaTomb. My one complaint is that my
server isn't beefy enough to do realtime re-encoding.

For an Android client, Skifta seems pretty good.

Corey