Home wiring.

PLUG plug_nospam at ericksonfamily.com
Sun Jun 16 22:49:42 MDT 2013

On Sun, June 16, 2013 10:10 pm, Jason Hall wrote:
> When building my new house, I did cat6 for that basic premise. It's
> everywhere, and several behind each TV (you can do HDMI over two cat6 with
> a baylun but not cat5e).

Not exactly correct.  There are baluns to do HDMI over 2 CAT5, I use them
in a couple of places in my house, with CAT5 wiring that was installed a
dozen years ago.

As long as the installation is good, CAT5E is OK for that.

What you *can't* normally run except with CAT6 are the new HD-BaseT
baluns, which will give you HDMI, audio, and a 100Mb Ethernet connection
all over a single CAT6 wire.  Those baluns are pretty expensive, though.

I would recommend going with CAT6 wiring at this point in time.  Why put
in anything less than the best wiring available (bar fiber, which still is
not worth it, IMHO).

If you have the time and/or money to have them run flex conduit (smurf
tube), it is very easy to pull 2-3 individual CAT5 or fiber later through
flex conduit (assuming 3/4" or 1").  Rigid conduit (the grey stuff) isn't
bad, either, except you tend to need a larger diameter for the same amount
of wire, due to 90's, and it's harder to install.


More information about the PLUG mailing list