[OT] Reflowing BGA solder of a Video Chip on my Laptop

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 08:49:12 MDT 2007

There's also a pawnshop in Orem, next to the old Golds Gym on  about 1600S.
Not the big new shiny one, but a little tucked away in the corner on
the opposite side of state from the big one.

Anyways, the owner is one of the most skilled solder monkey's I've ever known.
He's fixed things that "professional electronics shops" said were not
worth fixing, on well more than one occasion.

Wish I could remember the guys name, or at least the name of the pawn shop.

On 3/22/07, Nicholas Leippe <nick at leippe.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 March 2007, Adam Findley wrote:
> > I have an IBM T41 that has had some board trauma.  Apparently you flex
> > the motherboard if you carry it only on one side, which causes the video
> > chip to separate from the motherboard.  After doing some research, it
> > seems like it's a known problem, with a rather tricky solution:  You
> > have to reflow the BGA (Ball Grid Array) solder in order to get the
> > thing working again.
> >
> > So, does anyone have experience reflowing BGA solder? Or does anyone
> > know which professor or company that would be willing to help me get
> > this done?  The only other step from here I can see is buying a new
> > motherboard (which looks inevitable).
> >
> > Here's the relevant discussion of the problem:
> > http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=33952&postdays=0&postorder=asc&s
> >tart=90
> You might try Wolf Electronix in Orem (mentioned recently in a previous thread
> here).  If it is doable, they are qualified.
> /*
> PLUG: http://plug.org, #utah on irc.freenode.net
> Unsubscribe: http://plug.org/mailman/options/plug
> Don't fear the penguin.
> */

More information about the PLUG mailing list