[OT] Reflowing BGA solder of a Video Chip on my Laptop

Nicholas Leippe nick at leippe.com
Thu Mar 22 08:45:48 MDT 2007

On Wednesday 21 March 2007, Adam Findley wrote:
> I have an IBM T41 that has had some board trauma.  Apparently you flex
> the motherboard if you carry it only on one side, which causes the video
> chip to separate from the motherboard.  After doing some research, it
> seems like it's a known problem, with a rather tricky solution:  You
> have to reflow the BGA (Ball Grid Array) solder in order to get the
> thing working again.
> So, does anyone have experience reflowing BGA solder? Or does anyone
> know which professor or company that would be willing to help me get
> this done?  The only other step from here I can see is buying a new
> motherboard (which looks inevitable).
> Here's the relevant discussion of the problem:
> http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=33952&postdays=0&postorder=asc&s

You might try Wolf Electronix in Orem (mentioned recently in a previous thread 
here).  If it is doable, they are qualified.

More information about the PLUG mailing list