Router recommendations

Gary Thornock gthornock at
Fri Feb 2 07:22:28 MST 2007

--- Andrew Hunter <andrewm_hunter at> wrote:
> I would like to make it so that if someone requests
> (that is, a standard port 80 HTTP request), the request is
> given to the Debian server on port 80.  If someone requests
>, on the other hand, the request is forwarded
> to port 80 of the Suse server.

OK, you want to forward a port on the external interface to a
different port on the inside network.  I've never heard that
called "private port forwarding" before, but now that you've
clarified what you're trying to do, it makes sense.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any off-the-shelf routers that
do that.  You've found that your D-Link won't.  I just confirmed
that my Linksys won't either, and neither do any of the Belkin or
Microsoft routers I've seen.  It's easy to do with iptables or
pf, of course, but then you either get to set up a PC to do your
routing, or run something like pfSense or m0n0wall on a Soekris
(not that that's bad, but it's more work to set up than a COTS
router.)  Doubtless Cisco would be happy to sell you a router
that can do it, too, but it won't be in the D-Link price range.

More information about the PLUG mailing list