listing of files in /proc and /sys?

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 01:15:15 MDT 2014

On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 12:14 AM, Dan Egli <ddavidegli at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know where I can find a reference that indicates what each file
> in /proc and /sys are, and which are actually read from vs. just written
> to? I'd really like to have such a reference, so I know exactly where to
> look for what files/functions.

Those are basically semi-structured windows into the innards of the
kernel and associated drivers. The innards of the kernel are a chaotic
and capricious realm, stubbornly avoiding API stability at all costs.
The only true reference is the kernel source tree.  Abandon all hope,
ye who enter here!

But honestly, there are a bunch of documents in the kernel source tree
that are essentially the canonical documentation to such things.
There may be some external references, but they are likely to be
incomplete or out of date (even more so than the ones in the source
tree). Welcome to the bazaar!

        --Levi