a bit OT: used laptops, computrace rootkit

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 22:51:43 MDT 2014

On 03/23/2014 10:09 PM, plug.mailing-list wrote:
> If I were you, I would pursue getting Computrace disabled.  If the company can't (or won't) disable it, I'd resell the laptop and buy another.

Also since I'm now running Linux, with no agent running, I can't disable
CompuTrace even if I wanted to because it's not checking in with
Absolute.com. And the deactivation has to come from their servers
through the agent and into the BIOS.  I've thought about trying to edit
the BIOS to remove this part (it's what is known as an option rom).  But
that's fraught with danger and difficulty.  I successfully moved my OEM
Windows 7 activation to a virtual machine, and there are no agents
running in the VM of course (no CompuTrace in virtualBox's bios).