a bit OT: used laptops, computrace rootkit

Sun Mar 23 22:09:04 MDT 2014

The marketing videos on that site boast they can retrieve data, wipe the devices, and perform patch management (install whatever they feel like).  Additional research shows there is *some* support for Linux, so unfortunately, you might still be vulnerable:

http://www.absolute.com/en/products/absolute-computrace/requirements

I don't think I'll be purchasing a used laptop without checking the BIOS/UEFI first.

If I were you, I would pursue getting Computrace disabled.  If the company can't (or won't) disable it, I'd resell the laptop and buy another.