Annual Warning; Check Yur Backups

S. Dale Morrey sdalemorrey at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 12:46:00 MDT 2014

Depends on the amount of data, but I've had great luck with AWS S3fs and
glacier for dealing with backups.
Cron runs a daily backup snapshot and copies it to s3fs
s3 expires the data after 4 months and the space magically re-appears on
the disk.  Meanwhile it's safely stored in the cloud and glacier is there
to help ensure it can eventually be retrieved even if the whole s3 fabric
goes down.

Once a month I spin up a dev box and attempt a restore then switch that box
to live and move the former live box back into test.

Seems to be working so far!