Optimum search with geospatial coordinates

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Thu Mar 20 09:37:18 MDT 2014

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 10:48 PM, S. Dale Morrey <sdalemorrey at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's a severely resource constrained environment.  Think a j2me feature
> phone as a possible target.
> I get a data file from an external source periodically, but a DB is not an
> option here, there just isn't enough room for the overhead and that really
> seems like overkill for something like this.
>
> I can't see the search being frequent enough to warrant more than a few
> hours of tinkering, but I would like the search to be as snappy as possible.
>
> It can easily be "as the crow flies" so we don't need to be worried about
> best path, just closest point.
> Anyways thanks for the advice.

The answer likely depends on the scale you are talking about.

100 or less data points could probably be searched one by one without
too much problem.
1000 data points might need some fancier indexing methods like Tod or
Levi suggested.
Much more than that, a simple call to an external web service that is
hosting a real spatial database would likely be your best option.