Visual deception

Sasha Pachev sasha at
Mon Mar 17 17:24:03 MDT 2014

For a good laugh.

This morning I looked at my monitor and saw what I thought was a
sticky window that said New Balance on it. It was obscuring a portion
of the screen I wanted to use and it refused to disappear. I tried
clicking on it, minimizing and restoring various windows, no luck.
Hmm... I said, this is quite a bug in the video driver, or maybe even
in the video firmware itself. Maybe if I make something drastic
happen, like run a screen saver or play with screen resolution it
would go away. No luck. I did not want to reboot. The window was
relatively small, and did not bother me that much, so I just let it
sit. But like all of us on this list, in the back of my mind I was
still curious as to the cause of this and how to fix it. So I finally
came up with a fresh idea - turn the monitor off and then back on.
Something completely unexpected happened when I turned the monitor off
- it was dark with the exception of the mystery New Balance window. I
double-checked to make sure that the monitor was really off - it was.
It dawned on me at that point that the obstruction was of physical
nature. A New Balance gift card somehow got stuck to my monitor. April
Fools Day is coming up, so maybe this could give someone an idea.

Sasha Pachev

Fast Running Blog.
Run. Blog. Improve. Repeat.