printers that don't suck

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Fri Mar 7 06:05:43 MST 2014

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 9:10 PM, Ed Felt <edfelt at gmail.com> wrote:
> I bought a used business class HP. It just keeps working forever.  HP Linux
> diver support rules.

I have had an HP Color LaserJet 2840 for a number of years.  I have a
couple of warnings:

1. Toner is still not cheap, and most HP cartridges now are chipped
and stop at a programmed page count regardless of actual toner level.
Some cheapskates find that truly (exp|off)ensive.

2. Do extensive research, or avoid 3rd party cartridges.  Some are
modified to gain wider model compatibility and don't cycle reliably.
My 2840 is currently a B&W printer because printing color sometimes
prints blank, sometimes just misses a cyan or magenta because the
cartridges don't reliably rotate.

So HP will have you by the short & curlies if you go that way.  I was
about ready to buy a Brother because they appear to have a lower
per-page cost, and seem to support Linux.  A whole new set of toner
for my printer is nearly $400 and I could buy a new business class B&W
Brother with duplexer and much higher speed for about that.

FWIW,
Barry