printers that don't suck

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 21:50:15 MST 2014

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 8:35 PM, Michael Lovell <toelovell at gmail.com> wrote:
> My printer (a mid-range HP all-in-one) just decided to give up the ghost
> after about 5 years and less than a ream of pages printed. Does anyone have
> any recommendations for a printer that works easily from Linux, preferably
> has a wired network interface, under a couple hundred dollars, and doesn't
> completely suck? I don't think there exists a printer that doesn't suck but
> hopefully there are some with a minimal amount. I don't do a lot of
> printing, usually months between pages, but would like it to last for more
> than a couple years. Any recommendations?

I've found that the usage pattern you describe is *really* hard on ink
jet printers.  They like to be run often; if they aren't run often,
ink dries in the nozzles or something and you end up wasting half your
ink on cleaning cycles.  Then the buildup gets so bad that they just
won't print reasonably after any amount of cleaning.

I finally just bit the bullet and spent a bunch of money on a color
laser (I would have gone with black & white, but that part of the
decision was not entirely up to me).  It was expensive, but I have NO
MORE PRINTER HEADACHES!  It's wonderful!  Printing is so fast, and it
always just works.

Anyway, the model is some Brother MFC; it's probably more than you
want to spend, as it's more than I wanted to spend, but I don't regret
it a bit.  I don't print often from Linux (I don't print often in
general) but I don't recall any problems with it. It's got both wired
and wireless connectivity, and both work well.

Just go for a laser printer.  You won't regret it.