PHP Programming (was JOB: LAMP Artisan)

Joshua Marsh joshua at themarshians.com
Thu Mar 6 15:27:47 MST 2014

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 1:51 PM, Levi Pearson <levipearson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Writing *new* programs in PHP is just going to create more legacy code
> with maintenance costs, though.  It digs you deeper in the hole of
> bondage to a lousy language that many very good alternatives exist for
> now.

I guess I'm just not ready to totally discount PHP yet. I still think there
are perfectly suitable reasons to use PHP from a business, practical, and
language stand point. I work for a large company and while most of the
engineers are Java or .NET, PHP is relatively common. There wouldn't be an
issue getting a new PHP project approved. If I said Erlang, they'd probably
presume I had tourettes.

One could argue ad nauseam about the faults of PHP. I bet I could do that
for just about any language though, even the ones I don't know. A couple
Google searches would probably bring up rants similar to the one about PHP.

You may not like PHP, and that's OK (I don't generally like to use it
either). It may ruffle some feathers if you touted it at a SIGPLAN
conference. The fact of the matter is that these people are in the
minority. PHP has a following for a reason. There are dozens of languages
that failed because of its faults and PHP isn't one of them. In my
experience with it, I'm guessing it's because its faults aren't any more
abundant or worse than that of other languages that share the limelight
today.

If anyone wants to play the rant game, someone throw out your favorite
language and let's try bashing it! :)