PHP Programming (was JOB: LAMP Artisan)

Richard Esplin richard-lists at esplins.org
Wed Mar 5 22:08:19 MST 2014

I think this is a great response, and I completely agree.

PHP deserves a lot of credit for the historical development of languages
targetted at web applicaiton development.

PHP even deserves a lot of credit for trying to continue to evolve in order to
bring modern functionality to its very large existing install base. PHP is
good enough that if you have an existing application written in PHP, it is
likely not worth the effort to migrate.

And given the choice between a proprietary toolkit and PHP, I would pick PHP.
The openness makes up for a lot of pain.

I have met a couple of the leaders in the PHP and Drupal communities, and I am
impressed at how nice they are and how creative they are at compensating for
the shortcomings of their tools.

My frustration is with the people who argue that a PHP framework should be
adopted over better technologies for new projects. All those arguments seem to
come down to a varient of "everyone uses it" and "it's not worth learning
something else".

And if I can avoid the pain of PHP, I certainly will.

If you are a compenent PHP programmer, learning Python Django will be very
easy. (I only pick that example because that is my personal experience.)

Richard

On Wednesday, March 05, 2014 21:56:19 Joshua Marsh wrote:
> On Mar 5, 2014 7:26 PM, "Levi Pearson" <levipearson at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Every language has some of these "misfeatures".  PHP has far more than
>
> its share of them.
>
> It's hard to argue this point but I think people don't give PHP enough
> credit. It's first incantation was just a couple of years after Mosaic was
> released. Many of the web friendly languages today have PHP to thank for
> paving the way (and highlighting the pot holes).
>
> Rasmus said himself while he was here that he was never a language expert,
> he received his baptism by fire. He just had an idea to simplify web
> development and the popularity of PHP at the time suggests that everyone
> agreed despite its shortcomings.
>
> Would I suggest PHP for a new project? Not likely. Trying to compare PHP to
> modern languages is like trying to compare COBOL to Go. They were born in
> different eras to serve different purposes. It's hard for me to bag on
> COBOL because of what it did for its time and the fact that it's still in
> use today for niche purposes. I could have just as easily written a similar
> rant as the blog post on the subject though.
<snip>