PHP Programming (was JOB: LAMP Artisan)

Joshua Marsh joshua at themarshians.com
Wed Mar 5 21:56:19 MST 2014

On Mar 5, 2014 7:26 PM, "Levi Pearson" <levipearson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Every language has some of these "misfeatures".  PHP has far more than
its share of them.

It's hard to argue this point but I think people don't give PHP enough
credit. It's first incantation was just a couple of years after Mosaic was
released. Many of the web friendly languages today have PHP to thank for
paving the way (and highlighting the pot holes).

Rasmus said himself while he was here that he was never a language expert,
he received his baptism by fire. He just had an idea to simplify web
development and the popularity of PHP at the time suggests that everyone
agreed despite its shortcomings.

Would I suggest PHP for a new project? Not likely. Trying to compare PHP to
modern languages is like trying to compare COBOL to Go. They were born in
different eras to serve different purposes. It's hard for me to bag on
COBOL because of what it did for its time and the fact that it's still in
use today for niche purposes. I could have just as easily written a similar
rant as the blog post on the subject though.