PHP Programming (was JOB: LAMP Artisan)

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 19:26:50 MST 2014

On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 12:56 PM, Steve Meyers <steve at plug.org> wrote:
>> http://me.veekun.com/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/
>

> Rebuttal:
> http://forums.devshed.com/php-development-5/php-is-a-fractal-of-bad-design-hardly-929746.html
>
> I don't completely agree with all of the points in the rebuttal, but I don't
> feel like going point by point over all of the idiocy in the original
> article.

Just because you can come up with a point-by-point reply to something
doesn't mean you've successfully rebutted it.

The "fractal of bad design" article was inflammatory, but good
programmers are aware of both the strengths and weaknesses of their
tools.  You should be well aware of all the ways in which the language
you develop with sucks, and how to work around them.  Every language
has some of these "misfeatures".  PHP has far more than its share of
them.

If you think the article was full of "idiocy", then you ought to read
it again and think about whether you understand why the author pointed
out the things he did.  There are far more valid points in it than in
the "rebuttal".

       --Levi