PHP Programming (was JOB: LAMP Artisan)

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 14:57:30 MST 2014

On 03/05/2014 02:24 PM, Doran L. Barton wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Mar 2014 12:30:06 -0700
> Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> http://me.veekun.com/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/
>
> I used to work with Alex (Eevee). He's an incredibly smart guy and when he
> first published this article, I found it incredibly well done.

I just finished wasting a lot of time reading the so-called rebuttal on
devshed.  You're right that Eevee is a very smart and articulate fellow
with a lot of experience in many languages to draw on.  I found his
comments quite insightful.  I have my own biases, but I found
ManianDan's arguments to be quite weak and more of an attack on Eevee
("you don't understand weakly-typed languages").  Came off as defending
the indefensible.  I don't think Eevee's goal was to beat ManiacDan into
submission, or to get him to change languages, but to have an honest
discussion about the problems with PHP, but I suspect that conversation
is really impossible to have about any language in a public forum.